Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Pay it forward....here's your chance!

I got this from my neighborhood forum, this is a school that is literally 2 blocks from my home. I'm tempted to just go buy all those books they've asked for...but I don't have the money to help with the other request...maybe some of you know someone who does or has used computers to donate.... pass it on and pay it forward as they say......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From the Prince of Petworth blog:

Dear PoP,

I was hoping I could appeal to your readers and fellow DC’ers.
I teach middle school Language Arts at Sacred Heart School in Mt Pleasant. We need your help!

I work with amazingly creative and determined kids who have the odds stacked against them. We work together day in and day out to tackle reading and writing skills. We are a bilingual school with most of our kids on scholarships. I watch my kids grow every day as they take advantage of all the opportunities given to them. However, our lack of funds for technology in the classroom is limiting our success.

We are hoping that maybe some of you have just bought new computers and are looking to get rid of your old ones. We are not asking for brand new state of the art computers, but we will definitely take those as well
Wink Most of our students do not have personal computers in their homes and we do not have very many working ones in our school. It is really hard for our kids to learn how to use computers and stay competitive in the growing trend of computer science when I don’t have a computer for them to use in the classroom. If you have working computers or printers that you are trying to get rid of, we’ve got a home ready for them in my classroom! We would appreciate it from the bottom of our hearts.

In the true spirit of an inner city teacher, I’m asking for another favor….! If any of you are looking to donate Young Adult books, we would gladly accept those as well. All books are welcome, but my kids do have a few requests:

The girls (and secretly some of the boys - shhh!) are asking for:

- The Twilight Series by Stephanie Meyer
- The Friends by Rosa Guy
- Lord of the Flies by William Golding
- American Tall Tales by Mary Pope Osborne
- My Life with the Chimpanzees by Jane Goodall

The boys and girls agree on asking for:

- Anything by Gary Soto - and other “Spanglish” books
- Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
- The Giver by Lois Lowry
- Monster by Walter Dean Meyers
- I, Robot by Isaac Asimov
- Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
- “We want to read funny books! Ask for anything funny!”

Thank you so much to those of you who read this! Your support is SO appreciated from the bottom of our hearts.

Much love,

Ms. Kullberg and the Sacred Heart Middle School Kids!

Contact:
kristen.kullberg@catholicacademies.org

Sacred Heart School 1625 Park Road NW Wash, DC 20010

(202)265-4828

http://www.princeofpetworth.com/2009/07/dear-pop-computer-and-books-needed-for-middle-school-students/

No comments: